Dear C4SS supporters,
I confess: I thought this week was going to be a big huge bust for the Center in terms of media pickups. We had a bit of a content bottleneck at the beginning of the week, and we’re already scrambling to keep up with the departure of the prolific David D’Amato. As a result, my submissions this week were a little on the low side: 7,406 Center op-ed submissions to 2,801 publications.
But hey, look: Our first “double-digit pickups” week — ten of’em — in some time!
- An August 10 pickup that didn’t show up in Google until after last week’s update: The Snohomish, Washington Times ran my “‘Market’ Panic: The Era of Regime Certainty has Begun.”
- Kevin Carson’s “Corporations are People? So was Hitler” appeared in Counterpunch on August 16, the North Florida Herald on August 18, and the University of Iowa Daily Iowan today.
- Quebecois Libre ran my “Scary Story: The State vs. Anarchists” on August 15.
- “Barack Obama: Crazy or Con Man?” also by me, appeared in the Deming, New Mexico Headlight on August 16.
- Finally, my “Half a League, Half a League, Half a League Onward” ran in the Baltic Review, in Counterpunch, and in the London, Ontario Free Press on August 18.
Like the infomercial marketers on TV say, “but wait — there’s more!”
Max Anderson of the Rochester, New York Democrat & Chronicle wrote an August 17 editorial about Kevin Carson’s “Corporations are People? So was Hitler.” Anderson didn’t care much for the title — a Godwin’s Law kind of thing, so much so that he invited his readers to Google the title rather than actually linking to us — but getting mentioned in a major urban newspaper with a circulation of 150,000 is definitely better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, if you know what I mean.
A pretty good week, in my humble opinion. That’s two “pickups” per weekday for the market anarchist message. We got picked up or mentioned in all four corners of the United States and smack in the middle, too, and in Canada, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Germany, and in the international “left” press. Fox News didn’t call, but they hardly ever do, do they?
Guys: Money! I’m not a math whiz, but I just multiplied our quarterly fundraiser goal by four, and it looks to me like the Center is asking its supporters for less than $30,000 per year to do what we do (and we’re getting ready to do more of what we do, on several fronts). How many think tanks, media centers and other movement institutions do as much as we do on a budget like that?
Right now we’re running at an annualized rate of about 200 mainstream media op-eds accepted for publication per year. We put out four detailed research studies per year. We’re generating in the neighborhood of 4,000 blogosphere mentions a month. But There Ain’t No Such Thing as a Free Market Anarchist Media Center. So please, help us keep getting this stuff done.
Have a great weekend!
Yours in liberty
Center for a Stateless Society